Thursday, August 9, 2012

Time for a Change

I started Little Love's Designs in December of 2010 with no clue on what to expect.  Money was tight and I only had about $200 to spend on supplies.  I bought a few yards of fabric, some elastic and some plastic rhinestone buttons from Hobby Lobby thinking maybe I could just sell enough headbands to buy more supplies and hopefully one day I would even have enough money left over to cover the cost of diapers for my then 1 year old.

Fast forward to March of 2011 and things really started to pick up.  I was able to start ordering 200 yard spools of elastic, metal rhinestone buttons instead of plastic (I was moving on up in the world) and the sales just kept coming in.  When things started to get busy I was excited but constantly felt guilty because it was taking so much time away from me spending time with my daughter. 

When I was pregnant I decided to stay home with her until she started school but with me being so busy with making headbands and filling orders I started thinking maybe she would be better off in a day care where she would get more interaction with other kids and adults.  The thought that I was allowing what had turned into a full time (more like 80 plus hours a week) job for me to make me consider sending her off to day care constantly bothered me every single day.

Last September- November was a blur, between those 3 months I had over 700 orders through Etsy alone.  I would work from 7am- between 2-3am and still felt like I wasn't making any progress in getting caught up.  After the holiday rush we decided to move to TN to be close to my family.  This would give me some help with my daughter and we would also be moving into a home with a extra room just for LLD.

Since our move at the end of May I have found ways to be more productive but still find myself wishing for time to spend with my daughter.  I have been considering switching to ready to ship pieces only for a while and came to the conclusion last night at 1:00 am while making the final plans for my daughter's 3rd birthday party this weekend that it was time to make a change.  Not only for my own sanity but also for my daughter who deserves to at least have a couple of hours each day of my full attention.

After tonight I will no longer be listing my rolled flower/rosette headbands in the Etsy shop on a made to order basis.  Once I am able to get caught up on my current orders I will be making the rosette designs available once a week and will only be accepting a limited amount of orders.  These are the most time consuming designs and is what causes my processing time to be so long on orders (usually 10-12 business days but sometimes more).  By only accepting a limited number of orders for this style each week my goal is to cut the processing time frame down to 2-5 business days. 

I hate having to make customers wait so long for their order so I'm hoping this change will make everyone happy.  You get your packages quicker and I get some time to spend with my daughter :)

I will be posting a poll on Facebook to see what evening each week you guys would prefer that I make the rosette headbands available, if you could take a second to let me know which date you would prefer I would appreciate it. 

In the meantime, the rosette designs will be in the Etsy shop tonight until midnight so if you have been wanting to order one of these designs now is the time to do it (it will probably be around 2-3 weeks until I start listing them again on a limited basis).

I will continue to work on new designs that I can make and ship quickly.  I'm currently looking into broadening the products I carry to include cotton knit hats for newborns (similar to the ones they use in the hospital) but in cute prints/colors and with handmade flowers for the girls!

Being this busy is definitely a blessing and I can't thank everyone enough for your support and for sharing LLD with your friends!

2 comments:

  1. Wow,,I Live West of Nashville. And I just want to say that you have been a big inspiration to me. I am making hairbows and headbands. I am finally building up a small clientele but I don't ever want to have to do it 80 hours a week. I just LOVE all of your designs,,your amazingly talented. I don't blame you one bit for making this step in your business. I have a 4 month old Granddaughter that I keep for my daughter while she works. So I am trying to keep up with what I have going on now. I will always be watching for all your new creations.
    :-) Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Beth! I never thought I would get to the point of working that much per week and it definitely took its toll on me. Thankfully over the past almost 2 years I've learned how to do things faster and be more productive. It's definitely hard to take care of little ones while trying to work!

    ReplyDelete